Laura Olin is a veteran digital campaigner who ran social media strategy for Obama 2012 and helped set the editorial voice for the campaign's digital communications.
Laura's social media team ran everything from the @BarackObama Twitter account to the Joe Biden Facebook page and the Barack Obama Tumblr. They grew the campaign’s social media followings by 40 million; raised millions of dollars over social media; pioneered the use of Spotify, Instagram, Tumblr, and Pinterest on presidential campaigns; and created the most-retweeted and most-liked Twitter and Facebook posts in both networks’ history.
The digital program and outbound communications team that Laura helped grow raised a total of $690 million for the president.
Prior to joining the Obama campaign as its first digital staffer in April of 2011, Laura got her online campaigning chops at Blue State Digital, People For the American Way, and the Center for American Progress. She has degrees in political science and psychology from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree in political communication from the London School of Economics.
She currently works with other Obama alumni at the strategic consulting firm Precision Strategies and writes stuff for the internet on the side, including a popular experimental email list called Everything Changes (now under the banner of The Awl).
Laura’s been featured as a speaker at the Google Political Innovation Conference, SXSW Interactive, AdTech New York, RootsCamp, and Netroots Nation.
A native of Finland, she became an American citizen in 2008. Her first vote was for Barack Obama.
- The Washington Post: The Rise of Experimental Email
- Mailchimp: How Laura Olin’s Emails Got Her Freelance Work and a Book Deal
- Capital New York: The 60-second Interview: Laura Olin, Writer and Newsletter Author
- Campaigns and Elections: Movers & Shakers
- The Atlantic: A Google Spreadsheet for Your Thoughts
- TIME: The Most Tweeted Photo Ever
- The Daily Beast: The Story Behind the Most Viral Photo Ever
- Tumblr Storyboard: Meet the Mind Behind Barack Obama's Online Persona
- The Atlantic: The Campaign Tumblr is Dead! (Long Live the Campaign Tumblr!)
- Slate: The Photo the Obama Campaign Almost Used for Its Victory Tweet
- Twitter Success Stories: Barack Obama
- The Wall UK: The social media voice behind Obama’s presidential campaign