Laura Olin is a veteran digital campaigner who ran social media strategy for Obama 2012 and helped set the editorial voice for the campaign's digital communications.
Laura's social media team ran everything from the Barack Obama Twitter and Facebook accounts to the campaign Tumblr. They grew the campaign’s social media followings by 40 million; raised millions of dollars over social media; pioneered the use of Spotify, Instagram, Tumblr, and Pinterest on presidential campaigns; and created the most-retweeted and most-liked Twitter and Facebook posts in both networks’ history. The digital program and outbound communications team that Laura helped grow raised a total of $690 million for the president. She currently works with other Obama alumni at the digital consulting firm Precision Strategies, advising on digital strategy for clients including the Hillary Clinton campaign, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, the DNC, and the Gates Foundation.
Side projects include a newsletter called Everything Changes, which changes in theme and format every week and spawned a book; a Twitter account that publishes links to Awl pieces as described only by their tags; and a newsletter for women who want a more equal world, called RTW.
Laura’s been featured as a speaker at the Google Political Innovation Conference, SXSW Interactive, AdTech New York, RootsCamp, and Netroots Nation.
A proud native of Finland, she became a dual American citizen in 2008.
You can get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Washington Post: The Rise of Experimental Email
- Mailchimp: How Laura Olin’s Emails Got Her Freelance Work and a Book Deal
- Capital New York: The 60-second Interview: Laura Olin, Writer and Newsletter Author
- Campaigns and Elections: Movers & Shakers
- The Atlantic: A Google Spreadsheet for Your Thoughts
- TIME: The Most Tweeted Photo Ever
- Business Insider's 30 Most Creative People in Social Media Marketing
- The Daily Beast: The Story Behind the Most Viral Photo Ever
- Tumblr Storyboard: Meet the Mind Behind Barack Obama's Online Persona
- The Atlantic: The Campaign Tumblr is Dead! (Long Live the Campaign Tumblr!)
- Slate: The Photo the Obama Campaign Almost Used for Its Victory Tweet
- Twitter Success Stories: Barack Obama
- The Wall UK: The social media voice behind Obama’s presidential campaign